#61 - Re: Changes on Sat, Oct 30th, 2010 01:29 PM
Caleb
Unregistered

hmmm good idea chez!!!! ima get an ssd for my next hard drive
Quote this message in a reply
#62 - Re: Changes on Sat, Oct 30th, 2010 01:36 PM
Johnay
Unregistered

thanks cheese, that was a VERY informational video haha. is a hybrid drive like just in the middle of these 2 different machines? if so, i may buy the drive you suggested, though i would wish to get a bigger one :P
#63 - Re: Changes on Sat, Oct 30th, 2010 01:50 PM
Cheese
Unregistered

I think 500gb is the max they have right now, that's why either an SSD + HD or Hybrid drive + HD is best.

It would be somewhere in the middle, yes. I have no idea where exactly though. It's just one of those things where you don't realize how slow it is until you see how fast it can be.
#64 - Re: Changes on Sat, Oct 30th, 2010 01:54 PM
Johnay
Unregistered

damnit chez, you've officially sold me with that hybrid drive. :) thank you! :D

but besides that, would 8gb of ram be worth it? 4gb is okay now, but i am sure things will change within a couple years of gaming, and i can't wait for dx11 games to come into effect because my graphics card needs a worthy challenge.

edit: also, what's the point in having a x64 os, if i'm not taking full advantage of what i could.
#65 - Re: Changes on Sat, Oct 30th, 2010 02:03 PM
Cheese
Unregistered

There's more to 64 bit than increased memory capacity. I don't know the details though.

I've found 4GB to be just enough for Windows 7 (which wastes half of it, GRR). You might get faster load times with more, but a faster HD will give more potential improvements there.
#66 - Re: Changes on Sat, Oct 30th, 2010 04:06 PM
Johnay
Unregistered

So i have now decided that I will in fact buy this hard drive, that you suggested Cheese. It looks very capable of going fast, and has all the space I'd need. Thanks :D

I have also decided to buy this Blu-Ray writing hard drive, which is $30 off because of the Halloween Sale. I can write many movies to watch downstairs on the Blu-Ray player we got in HD! Also, since Blu-Ray disks are so large it will come in handy for temporary storage if the need be.

I definitely feel like I need a new keyboard (mine has milk stains, hidden hair, dirt and grime, is pretty clunky with the wire, and the volume control doesn't even work with it anymore.) So I plan on buying THIS bad boy, which comes with a switchable key pad for gaming keys as well.

Finally, my mouse needs an update too for the same reasons (specifically the annoying cord) and I figure I don't need a hardcore gaming mouse, so I'll get this cheapish little mouse that seems to have 2 extra buttons, and tracking control. Neat.

What do you guys think about my purchases, before I go ahead and buy them?
#67 - Re: Changes on Sat, Oct 30th, 2010 04:13 PM
Cheese
Unregistered

Wow, bluray is actually pretty affordable now.

I used to think the mouse didn't matter, but then I got a Logitech MX518. My accuracy went up in Quake Live by probably 8%, and the cord doesn't bug me as much as the wireless being unreliable did.
#68 - Re: Changes on Sat, Oct 30th, 2010 04:15 PM
Johnay
Unregistered

But other than cord bs, would you say my purchases are well thought out?
#69 - Re: Changes on Sat, Oct 30th, 2010 04:20 PM
Cheese
Unregistered

I don't like the keyboard, but that's probably just me.
#70 - Re: Changes on Sat, Oct 30th, 2010 04:23 PM
Cheese
Unregistered

You might need this for the 2.5" HD.
#71 - Re: Changes on Sat, Oct 30th, 2010 04:26 PM
Johnay
Unregistered

I didn't even realize that the keyboard is wired. I think I will go with this one instead, anyways! It goes better with my mouse as well.
Eh?
#72 - Re: Changes on Sat, Oct 30th, 2010 05:31 PM
Johnay
Unregistered

time to beg my momma to buy it all with her credit card, then pay her back immedietly lol.
#73 - Re: Changes on Sat, Oct 30th, 2010 06:05 PM
Johnay
Unregistered

DONE! :D FUCK I LOVE NCIX!
#74 - Re: Changes on Sun, Oct 31st, 2010 01:30 AM
Cheese
Unregistered

Hmm... need to get back on topic.

I made the forum finally do garbage collection for the sessions. Since php wasn't starting it up for me, it happens when you log in or out now. Basically, it's trimmed out over 100,000 rows of data from the session table in the database, which seems to have made the page creation time go down significantly.

Johnay, did you notice the index page? It's kind of neat to go through the old news.
#75 - Re: Changes on Thu, Nov 11th, 2010 03:51 PM
Cheese
Unregistered

The memberlist now can be sorted.
#76 - Re: Changes on Thu, Nov 11th, 2010 06:21 PM
Cheese
Unregistered

And now you can sort the topic lists.
#77 - Re: Changes on Fri, Nov 12th, 2010 01:51 AM
Cheese
Unregistered

These are all the things I've done since January:

-Show new post icon for the recent posts view.
-Display IP addresses to moderators in topic view.
-Fixed a bug that would overwrite someone's post total with an incorrect value after deleting someone elses post.
-Added a basic check to help stop registration spamming (don't allow "http" in signature at registration time).
-Started work on RSS feed stuff.
-Added a math captcha to the register page.
-Fixed avatar updating (in edit profile).
-[code] tag improvments.
-Don't allow users to show up twice on the online list (ie. when they have opened the forum in multiple browsers).
-Minor improvements to mobile theme.
-BBcode editor improvements.
-Sessions will now actually have garbage collection performed (happens at login/logout).
-strikeout BBcode tag added.
-Sorting/Ordering of the member list and topic lists

I have a few more things I want to do, and then I'll release another version of Cheesy Forum on SourceForge.
#78 - Re: Changes on Fri, Nov 12th, 2010 09:30 AM
Caleb
Unregistered

we need a like button!!!!!!!!!!!
#79 - Re: Changes on Fri, Nov 12th, 2010 12:03 PM
Tehsocks
Unregistered

ffs.
#80 - Re: Changes on Fri, Nov 12th, 2010 01:27 PM