Attracting more visitors
Quote this message in a reply
#41 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Tue, Sep 11th, 2012 11:41 AM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

I don't think you explained it further in person. :( But it does sound like an interesting idea, and I actually test out a prototype that was a similar concept, but more like Advance Wars. Unfortunately in that state it was pretty boring, but there was at least some potential for something good. With the way the web is evolving, implementing it to work on any device wouldn't be too much extra work.

Anyway, I came here to update this thread with the progress we've made. Youtube has turned into a huge success, and has increased the peak traffic by nearly 5 times.

I really wouldn't have thought it would increase that much just from a couple videos, but that's pretty impressive. Apparently Google likes us enough now to give us a top 10 spot in the search listings when searching for those POIs/vistas/skillpoints, so I think the SEO stuff turned out alright.

[Image: 76561197971959100.png]
#42 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Tue, Sep 11th, 2012 12:36 PM
ATLEX Offline
Scumbag

I forgot to. Yeah, I guess it could be like Advance Wars. I've seen a web-based competitive Fire Emblem work before.

Yet no one has registered for the forums~ Are the videos getting comments? I haven't checked. (Thanks for the Breached Wall video, by the way, Riley! I entered that area the other day and remembered the solution from watching your video before)

[Image: lagsignature.jpg]
#43 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Tue, Sep 11th, 2012 12:59 PM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

We have 14 comments total, and I've noticed that at least the most popular videos are getting likes. We also have 9 subscribers now and have finally caught up to Johnay in total views.

I'm going look into ways to better integrate the site and the forum. I have a few ideas.

#44 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Thu, Sep 13th, 2012 08:25 PM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

Passed 10,000 views today! Blizzards are in order. Plus we got another 2 (positive) comments!

Yay! I'm glad it helped, Alex! :D It's still the most challenging one I've found by far.
#45 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Thu, Sep 13th, 2012 09:14 PM
caleb Offline
Gasfella

Congrats tet! your practically a youtube star
#46 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Thu, Sep 13th, 2012 11:31 PM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

lmao I'm trying. :P thx!

Colby, I think if you DO revamp the site, maybe we should consider dividing up the "normal" blog stuff from all the youtube posts. It's so cluttered with video after video it's kind of annoying. Just a thought.
(This post was last modified: Thu, Sep 13th, 2012 11:31 PM by Tetchro.)
#47 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Thu, Sep 13th, 2012 11:58 PM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

My plan for the new theme has the history for the articles taking up about 150-200px each in height instead of the 600px each they're consuming now. So we will be able to have way more posts on the main page. Also, the last 5-6 posts for each category will be shown, and the lagviews or other featured articles will be displayed in way that will grab people's attention a bit more.

#48 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Fri, Sep 14th, 2012 01:03 AM
ATLEX Offline
Scumbag

Have you done anything about the total "Invision Free vibe" that we get when we look at our current theme?

#49 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Fri, Sep 14th, 2012 10:57 AM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

The forum or the blog?

#50 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Fri, Sep 14th, 2012 03:08 PM
ATLEX Offline
Scumbag

Both? Aren't they the same with just a colour swap?

#51 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Fri, Sep 14th, 2012 04:25 PM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

The header is the same, and some of the colours are the same, but the forum has different ways of showing the header for each section (like the blue background for this Quick Reply area).

Overall it'll look similar to what we have already. I'm ditching the shadowed borders and just using a 1px border, but the corners will still be round most likely. I wanted to use a dark background (#222222) but I'm having a hard time getting it to look right. I don't want to be too radical because I don't want to change the forum theme right now.

#52 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sat, Sep 15th, 2012 10:25 AM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

Which Videos Are Not Eligible [for monetization]?
Your video is not eligible if it contains content that you didn't create or get permission from its creator to use. You need to be able to show written permission for the following video elements:

Audio: recorded music, live performances, cover songs, background music, etc.
Visuals: images, logos, software, video game footage, etc.
Any other content you don't own worldwide commercial usage rights to.

Your video contains a song you purchased for personal use (e.g., bought on iTunes or in a store) but didn't obtain a commercial license.
You found a video on the Internet and you cannot prove that it's in public domain.
You are only singing words of your favorite copyrighted song
You have used content from someone else without permission, but you haven't yet received a copyright notice on your video.
You edit together or "mash-up" other works
You only use 30 seconds of a song or video clip
Your video does not provide proper attribution or credits as required by a license.
(This post was last modified: Sat, Sep 15th, 2012 10:28 AM by Tetchro.)
#53 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sat, Sep 15th, 2012 11:00 AM
caleb Offline
Gasfella

aaaaaaaand thaaaat means what? Videos taken down?
#54 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sat, Sep 15th, 2012 11:11 AM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

No chance of monitization for us, unless we make our own games or get permission from developers (not too likely).

It does bring traffic to the blog though, which we could do something with.

#55 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sat, Sep 15th, 2012 11:14 AM
caleb Offline
Gasfella

So everyone else who makes guild wars2 videos would get a similar email? lol. Lame!! but not to bad I guess... all we really want is more views and hopefully some people who follow us or something. am i right? lol
(This post was last modified: Sat, Sep 15th, 2012 12:38 PM by caleb.)
#56 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sat, Sep 15th, 2012 11:37 AM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

I dunno, other people do let's plays and stuff but yet can put ads on their videos. Maybe if you're getting way more views they don't care what you do?

Yeah, bringing some more people to the site who come back would be nice. Then when we get around to putting more reviews up, we might get some more people reading them.

#57 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sat, Sep 15th, 2012 01:08 PM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

Well, it seems that videos with commentary are covered under fair use laws, so we could monetize those. Kind of worried about the videos being taken down, but let's try it out.

#58 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sat, Sep 15th, 2012 07:20 PM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

OK, so just over 2 weeks into the whole guild wars 2 videos thing...
  • Currently have 13,138 views on YouTube
  • Have 2 strangers as new subscribers (the other 7 we know)
  • 83 likes
  • 21 comments
  • 2 shares
  • 3 videos with over 2000 views
  • 6/10 of the top Lagserv.net blog articles of all time are GW2 videos (the most popular one sitting in 3rd place)
  • A good chunk of the video views are from embedded sources... the blog is giving us a big advantage in search engines!

So my question is this... how can we sustain this? I mean, most of these videos are basically search-click-ooooh-back-to-game, and we need to convince people to stay and subscribe if we want any sort of long-term success out of this. Does anyone have any ideas for more original content that we could do that would convince people we're worth subscribing to?

In other words, anyone got any cool ideas for content? Not necessarily limited to YouTube, either. I'm starting to run out of GW2 POIs and stuff!!

The Kirby thing we're just doing for fun more or less. We didn't really expect them to get any views (although they're not doing terrible, considering we have so much traffic now). I'm not really convinced that video Let's Plays are the road to success since they're so common now. We need a niche that we can apply to a wider range of games.

But yeah. More subscribers!
(This post was last modified: Sat, Sep 15th, 2012 07:21 PM by Tetchro.)
#59 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sat, Sep 15th, 2012 08:24 PM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

Say at the end of the video, something like "if you liked this video and would like to see more, then please subscribe so we know to keep making them".

And at the beginning of the video, have the logo fly in, then fly out, taking up about 2 seconds of time and no more. Then people, in addition to getting the info they want, know there's a site and people behind the videos, and maybe they'll stay for an extra minute. Of course you need them to find something good within that extra minute so they'll stay even further (that's something I'm working on with the new theme).

(This post was last modified: Sat, Sep 15th, 2012 08:25 PM by Cheese.)
#60 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sun, Sep 16th, 2012 12:37 AM
ATLEX Offline
Scumbag

I like the logo flying in idea. And if you do that, I'm strongly in support of it being 2 seconds in duration (preferably even less). Have it accompanied by a sound clip, too! Either something made by Riley or just an audio clip from the video that follows it -- the latter makes it easy to immediately catch someone's attention because you could use a bit of audio that sound really silly out of context. Example: "I am still shirtless" - Socks

Personally, I'm not big on YouTubers saying "if you liked this video and would like to see more, then please subscribe so we know to keep making them" in their videos. I prefer seeing those in the text descriptions. (There is one exception: penguinz0, who has practically made it a catch phrase for his videos) That's just me though and I hate everything.