Video Game Tutorials?
Quote this message in a reply
#1 - Video Game Tutorials? on Tue, Sep 4th, 2012 07:51 PM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

I'm beginning to think we may have found a niche in gaming tutorials... I posted my two POI videos to the blog just because and the Hrothgar's Pass one already has 61 freaking views. SINCE NOON! Usually the top article of the day has like 12 views or something.

Also remember when I said we passed 1000 views on YouTube? Just passed 1500 now.

Lookit this graph of views from YouTube starting from July 31st. Alex came over on August 17th and we uploaded videos on the 19th, and we watched them a lot. And I do mean we. But people are obviously digging the GW2 "tutorials"... we jumped on that bandwagon at the right time!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

#2 - RE: Guild Wars 2 on Tue, Sep 4th, 2012 09:17 PM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

Maybe. Tutorials aren't always going to work for whatever game we're playing.

[Image: 76561197971959100.png]
#3 - RE: Guild Wars 2 on Tue, Sep 4th, 2012 10:27 PM
caleb Offline
Gasfella

I noticed people are loving some of your tutorials :p good work tet!! bringin in the views.
#4 - RE: Guild Wars 2 on Tue, Sep 4th, 2012 11:03 PM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

sure they will colby.

you can do a series on how to pwn in css
i can do a series on how to kick ass in mario tennis
etc. etc.

... ok, maybe not. lol

My video passed Colby's! :D He has one that's doing really good too!

The blog looks a little cluttered with all of these video posts, but now both the channel and blog are both experiencing huge views! :D Thanks Cab! Hope to play with you soon?
#5 - RE: Guild Wars 2 on Tue, Sep 4th, 2012 11:07 PM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

omg the Hrothgar's past blog post I posted, oh, 11 hours ago now, is already the 15th most read article in LAG history.

(Got another video uploading now...)
(This post was last modified: Tue, Sep 4th, 2012 11:07 PM by Tetchro.)
#6 - RE: Guild Wars 2 on Wed, Sep 5th, 2012 10:46 PM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

I'm considering an article that would contain 5 tips for CS: GO novices. They would be:
- Keep your crosshair where you expect enemies to be
- Don't spray, burst
- When to walk (plus noise considerations)
- What to do with your sensitivity (keep it as low as comfortable [I know this is a bit debatable... but I know what the Quake pros do and it makes sense])
- Buy menu keys (not sure about this tip yet, any better ideas?)

And I would go into detail describing each one, and my suggestions and reasoning behind them.

#7 - RE: Guild Wars 2 on Wed, Sep 5th, 2012 10:53 PM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

Well I hope you'd go into detail. Otherwise it'd be really boring.

Sounds like a cool idea, it couldn't hurt. We can always do a video to accompany it as well if you wanted. Maybe talk to Cab for some advice too, since he was so pro during the CSS days!
#8 - RE: Guild Wars 2 on Wed, Sep 5th, 2012 11:26 PM
ATLEX Offline
Scumbag

(Wed, Sep 5th, 2012 10:46 PM)Cheese Wrote:  I'm considering an article that would contain 5 tips for CS: GO novices. They would be:
- Keep your crosshair where you expect enemies to be
- Don't spray, burst
- When to walk (plus noise considerations)
- What to do with your sensitivity (keep it as low as comfortable [I know this is a bit debatable... but I know what the Quake pros do and it makes sense])
- Buy menu keys (not sure about this tip yet, any better ideas?)

And I would go into detail describing each one, and my suggestions and reasoning behind them.

This might come with "When to walk", but when you told me to stop moving around so much when I'm shooting, I found myself doing significantly better.

What's a menu key?

[Image: lagsignature.jpg]
#9 - RE: Guild Wars 2 on Wed, Sep 5th, 2012 11:48 PM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

On the buy menu you can use keys 1-9 instead of clicking the items with your mouse. After a while you can do it quickly enough to have the items you want to use ready to go in just a second or two.

#10 - RE: Guild Wars 2 on Thu, Sep 6th, 2012 12:19 AM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

(Wed, Sep 5th, 2012 10:53 PM)Tetchro Wrote:  Well I hope you'd go into detail. Otherwise it'd be really boring.

Sounds like a cool idea, it couldn't hurt. We can always do a video to accompany it as well if you wanted. Maybe talk to Cab for some advice too, since he was so pro during the CSS days!

I'd like to think I'm a much better player now than I was back in those days, in every FPS. I'm much more aware of things like the strategy elements involved, the importance of good timing, when good aim actually matters, and avoiding being predictable. I could probably write tutorials for both CS GO and Quake Live, not saying that I'm great at either of them, but I've studied the genre enough to provide some insight.

Starting with CS:GO, I'm leaning towards putting out 2-3 articles. The first one will cover moving, shooting, and aiming, sharing some thoughts about them and things to consider. The second will cover a few more advanced ideas, such as predicting your enemies, your enemies predicting you, the buy menu tips (hotkeys), and hopefully I come up with at least one other idea.

The articles won't necessarily to provide "do this" style tips, but instead highlight things that should be considered. The goal would be to increase awareness of all the different things that are happening during a round and start to get people to be deliberate about the choices they're making while playing the game.

(BTW, I split this discussion from the GW2 thread.)

(This post was last modified: Thu, Sep 6th, 2012 12:22 AM by Cheese.)
#11 - RE: Video Game Tutorials? on Thu, Sep 6th, 2012 02:44 PM
caleb Offline
Gasfella

I think thats a great idea chez. You pretty much named most of the main things. and for the don't spray, burst tip.. In CSS you could actually learn to spray super efficiently.. not sure about GO though.

On a side note 2 of tets videos are almost 600 views and the youtube page is nearing 3000!!!!
#12 - RE: Video Game Tutorials? on Thu, Sep 6th, 2012 07:34 PM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

lol yeah we were a little off topic.

Yay youtube views! Hopefully past 3000 views tomorrow?! We'll see! We had over 700 yesterday alone. Hopefully this weekend I can record a lot of videos and release one a day over the next week or something. Colby posted one today and I still have another one I just have to piece together.

Colby, go for it! We should play some CS this weekend.
#13 - RE: Video Game Tutorials? on Sat, Sep 8th, 2012 08:59 AM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

Just got this email:

Dear lagservnet,

We've noticed that one of your videos is becoming popular on YouTube. We love to see our creators being successful, so we’d like to invite you to monetise your video.

First, opt your account in to monetisation from your Account Settings and then opt your eligible videos in to monetisation by visiting your Video Manager.

Have fun and good luck.

The YouTube Team
(This post was last modified: Sat, Sep 8th, 2012 09:00 AM by Tetchro.)
#14 - RE: Video Game Tutorials? on Sat, Sep 8th, 2012 11:47 AM
ATLEX Offline
Scumbag

Legit?

#15 - RE: Video Game Tutorials? on Sat, Sep 8th, 2012 11:49 AM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

lol I suppose so.

More videos!
#16 - RE: Video Game Tutorials? on Sat, Sep 8th, 2012 11:54 AM
ATLEX Offline
Scumbag

Interesting. Looks like the Internet demands more Guild Wars 2 videos!

#17 - RE: Video Game Tutorials? on Sat, Sep 8th, 2012 11:57 AM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

MORE GUILD WARS 2 VIDEOS!!!!

It's weird the Hrothgar's Pass one is doing so well. That's the one you and I stumbled upon the other day. I went back and recorded it, but I really debated over whether or not it was worth uploading.
#18 - RE: Video Game Tutorials? on Sat, Sep 8th, 2012 12:03 PM
ATLEX Offline
Scumbag

Too bad you didn't get a recording of me falling to my death. That was embarrassing.

#19 - RE: Video Game Tutorials? on Sat, Sep 8th, 2012 12:07 PM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

lol! Too bad. I'll have to be more diligent next time we play together.
#20 - RE: Video Game Tutorials? on Sat, Sep 8th, 2012 12:15 PM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

Last night I tried to do a mission with Caleb and Socks... I ended up rolling off the bridge within the first 2 minutes.