Attracting more visitors
Quote this message in a reply
#1 - Attracting more visitors on Sat, May 5th, 2012 12:53 AM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

How do you think we should go about doing this? It would be nice to have more people here that want to talk about games.

Right now the top article is the tutorial I posted about how to make my laptop not run so hot on Linux, bringing in about 20-30 people a day. The thing is, those people don't look at the rest of the site a whole lot. They may be bringing in an audience, but that audience isn't interested in the other things we have to offer.

I don't think lack of content is that much of an issue, but maybe more current event related things would help.

I've stuck mostly to relying on search engines to let people find us but that isn't working too well, at most it brings in 5 people a week for some particular, game-related, articles. I've also made a couple half-hearted attempts to refer people by posting a link to lagserv on forums and comment sections, but if anyone follows them they don't seem to get very far.

So what do we do? Riley seems to think that if we made a compelling game that it would bring in an audience, but I'm not so sure. First of all, if we do make a game, who is going to know about it? And anyone that does comes here because of the game will probably just want information on that game.

[Image: 76561197971959100.png]
#2 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sat, May 5th, 2012 03:46 AM
ATLEX Offline
Scumbag

I disagree. I think the lack of content is a bit of an issue. If you have a high bounce rate, it's probably because nothing else looked interesting to the viewer (either by simple disinterest in what they saw, or perhaps the layouts aren't accessible enough (doubtful)).

Would a "related articles" section be possible to implement on the article pages?

Also, plug your own reviews. If you find the smallest opportunity to make a comparison to another game that has been reviewed, then link to it.

I still want to write my own articles. I'm getting to it. x__x

[Image: lagsignature.jpg]
#3 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sat, May 5th, 2012 11:29 AM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

Our bounce rate for most gaming related articles is about 50% or higher, and a little lower for the laptop stuff (people generally click the linux/u400 tags or notice that I've reviewed it).

Related articles is something I can do. I guess it would just examine the tags and find matches.

I did the lagview table to try to get more people to look at old lagviews (plus I think it looks neat). Looks like it worked for Caleb and L4D2, but it's still too soon to know if it worked for anyone else.

I'll look into linking to my own articles a bit more.

One thing I've considered is writing a guest post on some other, already established blog. I just wouldn't know where.

#4 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sat, May 5th, 2012 11:31 AM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

Who is going to know about it? The Pandora community for starts. See how they like it and then go around posting it on other forums or something. Hopefully word of mouth will be on our side. We'll take it from there afterwards but it's not like we're investing our life savings into this project. And if people DO come here because of the game we will, of course, provide information on it, but if we stick a "top posts" thing or something on the sidebar (especially with things like your pandora article) there's bound to be a couple of people who would get distrated. Again, I didn't intend for "making a game" to be a reason to bring in traffic. I just meant it would help somewhat.

And I'm with Alex, we need more content and we need more consistent postings IF we want to attract more people. I only write little reviews and stuff for a fun thing to do in the evenings when I want to unwind, I never really thought about them becoming part of a blog. As such, I write to you guys and not to the public. We're way too inconsistent right now.

I forgot about guest blogging! (had to edit my post since you posted as I was writing this)
Apparently that can be effective. From what I read. But that's all I know lol.
And also if we want more traffic we need to go out and post stuff on other blogs and all that. Even, as Alex said, plug our own content. Do what that commenter did on my Kindle review and have a link going back to your own blog. I clicked it and read a couple articles! I'm sure it'll work in reverse. Any of us can go out on post on blogs with a link leading back to the site. It's probably a good place to start.
(This post was last modified: Sat, May 5th, 2012 11:34 AM by Tetchro.)
#5 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sat, May 5th, 2012 12:06 PM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

In terms of focus, the easiest gaming-related community to focus on would be one that's currently neglected. That would be linux gamers in general. Although I wouldn't want that to be the only thing we write about, there are just way too few linux games.

I added the related posts section to the articles.

(This post was last modified: Sat, May 5th, 2012 12:24 PM by Cheese.)
#6 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sat, May 5th, 2012 01:08 PM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

I've been playing a lot of cross-platforms games lately (mostly from the humble indie bundles) so hopefully that brings in people :P
#7 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sat, May 5th, 2012 09:04 PM
ATLEX Offline
Scumbag

I thought we could write about anything we wanted? (Lesbians?) If you want to write about Linux games, then you should write about Linux games. We shouldn't become too obsessed with getting more hits that the content becomes forced, yeah? Riley writes for fun and that's what we should be doing, too.

On the 'making a game' thing... How difficult and/or time-consuming would it be to program a visual novel type of game? If I had a completed script and provided all the art, would one of you guys be able to put it together in a working visual novel game? Hypothetically speaking.

#8 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sat, May 5th, 2012 09:20 PM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

What exactly did you have in mind? Point and click things? Probably relatively easy, in terms of programming.

If the writing goes to not being for fun I wouldn't do it anymore. For now it's still a fun distraction.

#9 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sun, May 6th, 2012 12:48 AM
ATLEX Offline
Scumbag

Point and click, but an option to use the arrows and ENTER keys would be nice. Gameplay would be entirely text-based; NPCs ask questions or whatever, and the player selects a response from a selection that is provided. These responses would have hidden values to change what characters would say to the player later in the game, as well as going towards different endings and such. Text entry would be nice, too, if I wanted the players to be able to name their character or something. There would be some menus involved like: selecting areas to visit, viewing item inventory, miscellaneous character "stats" and that kind of thing; as well as the usual pause, options, save, and quit game menus. Again, I'd write the entire script and provide all the visuals, I just need a programmer. :x

I'll also bring up my old suggestion of making a collaborative YouTube channel or something for, y'know, video stuff. Maybe even live streaming? Maybe both (live streaming and recording/uploading on YouTube)?

#10 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sun, May 6th, 2012 01:26 AM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

That doesn't seem too difficult down the road. I've been playing with the orx engine a little bit over the past week and trying to learn it. Making a chracter move is my next goal (got simple physics in which is pretty cool!)

I'm up for a YouTube channel. What sorts of videos would we do though? Do you have an example?
#11 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sun, May 6th, 2012 01:40 AM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

When you break it all down it becomes obvious how much work there is, even for a simple game. But it does still sound do-able. I'd be up for doing a game like that. I had my own idea for a game, but the amount of programming involved with that idea really turns me off, especially since I have to program for work.

I think we've discussed a YouTube channel before. I'm going to go ahead and register lagservnet as an account in case something comes up.
edit: apparently we need a whole extra Google account. Not something I want to set up right now.

(This post was last modified: Sun, May 6th, 2012 01:44 AM by Cheese.)
#12 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sun, May 6th, 2012 03:45 AM
ATLEX Offline
Scumbag

I'll keep that in mind! Thanks. Ideally, the game would be simple enough so that I could ask you to code one part/scene and I'd be able to pick up on the syntax and code similar parts/scenes myself.

When Colby reviewed that Battle for Wesnoth game, I kind of thought that a Fire Emblem or Ogre Battle-esque game would be a great "serious" project for us. (Because all of us love Fire Emblem and Ogre Battle, of course) Just a thought, though.

Speaking of Ogre Battle and Fire Emblem, I also thought that Let's Plays would be an interesting addition to the blog. It's a bit niche, but I've seen several of them become very successful (like this one). I considered chronicling my experience with a competitive online game (like StarCraft II ladders or ranked matches in Street Fighter, for example) or a game like Rune Factory/Harvest Moon.

I don't know. YouTube just seems like such a great platform for getting attention. Vlogging and gameplay videos seems like the stuff we'd do. Examples? Umm... I actually haven't been following my YouTube subscriptions lately, but I like analytical Starcraft people that also have a bit of wit and humour about them (Psystarcraft, ZaiSC2K, CholeraSC) and even just videos of people playing games with their friends. It's entertaining to hear all the bickering, and admittedly, their failures in-game are often the most entertaining.

#13 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sun, May 6th, 2012 12:23 PM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

Ohh, I'd love to do some kind of Fire Emblem or Ogre Battle type game. Probably a bit too ambitious to do it right now, though.

I've actually considered doing something along the lines of a let's play. Mine would be a bit more serious than that Animal Crossing one.

#14 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sun, May 6th, 2012 07:25 PM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

So how about a summary of the ideas so far:

YouTube channel - The next time I see an opportunity to record a game I'm playing, I'll do that. If I'm remembering correctly, Xfire has a recording feature.

Make a game - Doesn't appear there is any shortage of ideas anymore. I'm still a bit skeptical as to how people will find the game if we don't already have an audience, although if it's a Pandora game we can just post on their forums.

Let's play - I think I'm going to do one for Fallout

Related Articles - Done

Linking to my own articles - I've gone through some of my older articles and added links to some of the other articles. Still need to find places/communities that might be interested in reading our content.

Guest blogging on other blogs - Not sure what blogs might be interested in that. Anybody know of any?

More Interesting content - I'm going to write some more articles about games that aren't just reviews, but I'm not sure that's enough. Any more ideas?

#15 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sun, May 6th, 2012 09:31 PM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

I would love to do a sequel to Ogre Battle or something. A game along the lines of Fire Emblem would be great, too.

Alex... do you have any ideas for a game where you create shapes (boxes, circles, triangles, etc.) with simple physics properties to solve puzzles or something? Like maybe you're limited to 2 boxes and 1 circle or something for one level... I dunno.
#16 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sun, May 6th, 2012 10:15 PM
ATLEX Offline
Scumbag

Uhhh... Not too sure what you mean, Riley. Ideas for an original game or a game that already exists? In the Trine games, the Wizard character creates boxes and platforms to navigate through the level (or even crush enemies).

#17 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Mon, May 7th, 2012 12:45 AM
tehsocks Offline
Gasfella

sarcasm?
#18 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Mon, May 7th, 2012 02:07 AM
ATLEX Offline
Scumbag

Oh, that was sarcasm? =w= Weps~