Attracting more visitors
Quote this message in a reply
#61 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sun, Sep 16th, 2012 12:46 AM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

I figure by having it at the end, only those who really liked the video will hear it, and those people won't be turned off as much. But it does sound a bit like begging.

I like the sound snipped idea.

[Image: 76561197971959100.png]
#62 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sun, Sep 16th, 2012 10:30 AM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

OK, I think a 2-second little bit at the beginning of the video with the logo fading in/out flying in/out/whatever is more than enough.

I was originally thinking of making like a little 2-second lick or melody or whatever and playing it at the same time, but I like Alex's idea with the little audio bits at the beginning... the only problem is that we'd need to record a lot of different ones - or reuse them - in order to keep up with the pace we're going at right now. Good thing we have Socks for that! It's kind of a smosh-like idea.

I don't really want to add a bunch of begging at the end of the videos. I put a little line in the text description of each video last night basically asking for any suggestions for further videos and recommending they subscribe if they'd like to see more. In my experience, at the end of videos usually YouTubers like to link people to other videos (most of the time ones they've made, but sometimes not), which might be something worth looking into once we have a bit more content.

Side note: we'll probably pass 15,000 views today! And we got another subscriber last night! yay!
(This post was last modified: Sun, Sep 16th, 2012 10:33 AM by Tetchro.)
#63 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sun, Sep 16th, 2012 03:52 PM
tehsocks Offline
Gasfella

socks is leet.
#64 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sun, Sep 16th, 2012 06:16 PM
ATLEX Offline
Scumbag

(Sun, Sep 16th, 2012 12:46 AM)Cheese Wrote:  I figure by having it at the end, only those who really liked the video will hear it, and those people won't be turned off as much. But it does sound a bit like begging.

I like the sound snipped idea.

Yeah, I can understand having it at the end. I just still view it as kind of a petty thing to do no matter the placement. YouTube has been around long enough that people (especially gamers, who typically know how the Internetz work) will know what subscribing means for content creators. Again, just my opinion.

[Image: lagsignature.jpg]
#65 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Mon, Sep 17th, 2012 04:14 PM
caleb Offline
Gasfella

I like the quick little lag logo you put in!!! looks good. super simple and quick. If we can avoid saying "please subscribe" I think we should lol
#66 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Mon, Sep 17th, 2012 09:11 PM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

lol thanks I thought it was cool too. :D Simple and isn't there nearly long enough to annoy you (1.26 seconds from beginning to the end of the fade). I can always make it longer if I stick an audio file right at the beginning, which I do plan on playing with in the next batch of videos I'll hopefully record at the end of this week (or perhaps the weekend, depending).
#67 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Wed, Sep 19th, 2012 07:16 PM
ATLEX Offline
Scumbag

http://www.teamparadigm.net/forums/Gener...ou-serious
From a link on Reddit, concerning monetizing of Guild Wars 2 videos on YouTube and a mass-flagging of user videos.

[Image: lagsignature.jpg]
#68 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Wed, Sep 19th, 2012 07:42 PM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

So EULA > Fair use? I'm pretty far from being a lawyer, but that seems unfair.

It looks like lots of other people are a bit upset as well... hopefully ArenaNet changes their mind. It would definitely reduce long term appeal of the game if people can't stream it or produce content about it (and get compensated for their time, that is).

Anyway, I look off the monetization. It's was tempting, but I don't want to mess around with it so casually if it can lead to something like the account being suspended.

Thanks for the heads up.

#69 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Wed, Sep 19th, 2012 08:40 PM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

Yeah from the reading we did that seems a little shifty. Hmm.

Thanks for the heads up though! Much appreciated!

Hopefully it removes the videos of my competitors on YouTube? haha oh well. I'd rather have the videos up and safe then make $5.

OH, dunno if you read this, Colby (since you mentioned Areanet, as Socks calls them)
Quote:A response from Arenanet!

Technically, it’s against the current Guild Wars 2 Content Terms of Use for people to make money through such things as monetizing a Guild Wars 2 video. However, we support people sharing their experiences with our game. (Heck, we <3 people doing that!) So while we want to do the right thing and accurately relay what the CToU says — because that’s often the question — we do not take action when fan sites support themselves via ads, and we don’t take action when the creators of fan videos place ads. In other words, we do not flag such videos. -GaileGray

*puts away Arenanet-labeled pitchforks*

*brings out NCSoft-labeled pitchforks*

Honestly, this was expected. I've known Arenanet for a while and anyone else in a similar position could tell flagging monotized videos would be out of their character... They absolutely love their fanbase!
(This post was last modified: Wed, Sep 19th, 2012 08:44 PM by Tetchro.)
#70 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Wed, Sep 19th, 2012 10:45 PM
tehsocks Offline
Gasfella

I wouldnt bother monetizing honestly. It makes you look better without.

Id much rather click a video clean cut, well done, no bullshit.

Its kind of like when you walk in somewhere and see a tips jar, and you think... Uhhh i dont think a tips jar applies here....
#71 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Tue, Oct 2nd, 2012 09:40 PM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

It just occured to me I haven't done a YouTube channel update in a while.

Views: Guess. No, you're wrong. 38,668
Subscribers: 19 (8 of which are us)

Yesterday was our worst day since the second week of september (probably due to a lack of new videos :( )

Have about 1000-1400 views a day.

best day was sunday sept. 16 with 2,179 views!
(This post was last modified: Tue, Oct 2nd, 2012 09:42 PM by Tetchro.)
#72 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Thu, Oct 4th, 2012 01:49 PM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

I actually kind of expected the views to disappear completely after the first couple of weeks, but it just keeps going. At the rate we have right now, we may reach 100,000 views by Christmas. Crazy.

Now, what other videos could we make that people will actually want to watch?

(This post was last modified: Thu, Oct 4th, 2012 01:49 PM by Cheese.)
#73 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Thu, Oct 4th, 2012 09:29 PM
tehsocks Offline
Gasfella

star craft 2 strats?
#74 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Thu, Oct 4th, 2012 10:38 PM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

actually that would be a great idea.

but we suck. lol
#75 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Fri, Oct 5th, 2012 12:14 AM
caleb Offline
Gasfella

yeah it doesn't seem to be slowing down to much :p keep trying to do GW videos while something else is thought of tety!! some of them take right off it seems.

On a side note maybe do math tutorials?? lol may seem silly but sometimes its hard to find a good one. im sure you would be good at it. you and your "soothing voice"
(This post was last modified: Fri, Oct 5th, 2012 05:27 PM by caleb.)
#76 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Fri, Oct 5th, 2012 12:53 PM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

lol I sort of like the math idea (although for a different channel), but the only way I can think to do it would be with a graphics tablet. i cant write legibly with a mouse and it's not easy to type math stuff. what kind of math were you thinking?

im trying to do a few gw videos a week, but i havent found any spots worth recording despite looking. it's a pain in the ass, i dont know when I'll find another one worth it.
(This post was last modified: Fri, Oct 5th, 2012 01:17 PM by Tetchro.)
#77 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sat, Oct 6th, 2012 11:06 PM
tehsocks Offline
Gasfella

MMMMM MMMM LOOK AT THAT MAJESTIC FRACTION.
#78 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sat, Oct 6th, 2012 11:13 PM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

That's right!

Read the comment:
http://youtu.be/fc-Agslq1BA
#79 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sun, Oct 7th, 2012 06:40 PM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

I've converted 6 videos so far today.

And I'm realizing I really need an upgrade... :(
#80 - RE: Attracting more visitors on Sat, Oct 13th, 2012 12:45 PM
caleb Offline
Gasfella

Views are still looking good ! And the math was just fractions/trigonometry . All good now though:D