Quake Live shoutcast test
Quote this message in a reply
#1 - Quake Live shoutcast test on Fri, Oct 19th, 2012 02:52 PM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

Me and Riley decided to try this out. Not sure if it turned out okay. Can you guys watch it and tell us what you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VE28gWnbA4

[Image: 76561197971959100.png]
#2 - RE: Quake Live shoutcast test on Fri, Oct 19th, 2012 03:43 PM
ATLEX Offline
Scumbag

It was good! It was a good contrast between you (someone who knows the game and is familiar with the scene) and Riley (who knows nothing, thus I related to him really well).

This seems like a really difficult game to cast/follow because it's so fast! I didn't quite understand "controlling the yellows" thing. I'm pretty sure this meant controlling the yellow armour items? Mentioning more about strategy like that would be awesome. There was a particular engagement where that demon guy died and you mentioned the difference in the guns the two players were using — you said something like, "demon's gun does more damage, but is more difficult to aim at that range". That was cool to hear. It would also be nice to hear what either player could do to comeback or, on the flipside, maintain their lead.

Besides that: The video volume was a little quiet!
Also: Whoa, Lagserv can use custom thumbnails now? Dope.

[Image: lagsignature.jpg]
#3 - RE: Quake Live shoutcast test on Fri, Oct 19th, 2012 07:58 PM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

Yeah, it's a fast game, but once you've watched and learned what they're doing and why they're doing it, you can usually follow what's happening without missing too much.

Best way to think about the items is in terms of resources in an RTS. As in, they're the "macro" part of it, whereas the aiming and combat is the micro. By controlling, I mean he picked up the item and so now he knows that the item will respawn again in 25 seconds, so he can come back to pick up that item again, or at least challenge his opponent for it. Even if his opponent picks it up, if he is nearby he can hear or see the pick-up and know when to come back, or even better, do some damage to the opponent to reduce the benefit of it.

The whole experienced player explaining to the novice thing might actually be an interesting angle. I know the game can be difficult to follow for some people.

#4 - RE: Quake Live shoutcast test on Fri, Oct 19th, 2012 08:51 PM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

Um. Yeah. lol. I understood the reds, yellows, megas, and so on, but my map knowledge is lacking so I don't really know where there are. I don't know how long it takes for each item to respawn, either. It was handy (YEAH I JUST SAID THAT!) having the timers on the right side. That was the first time I'd seen a proper competitive quake match, so it was a bit of an eye-opener for me. I see what you mean though - don't be afraid to run. Or, better yet, hit and run. Some of the games I've seen have pretty few frags.

And yeah, yellow = yellow armour, red = red armour, mega = mega health.

Thanks for the input Alex! :D

(yeah, we can use custom thumbnails now because we're the best! Actually I think we could once we got enabled to upload over 15 minute videos to be honest)
#5 - RE: Quake Live shoutcast test on Sat, Oct 20th, 2012 03:27 AM
ATLEX Offline
Scumbag

Haha! Yeah, I know that you understand a lot in the game. I was just exaggerating.

But I agree with you, Colby. Explaining it to a novice would be interesting (and as a novice, I am interested, oho). When you conclude your CS:GO guide, maybe that's something you could look into? Maybe a video series? Pick an aspect of the game and cast a match that showcases a good example of it? I don't know, haha.

#6 - RE: Quake Live shoutcast test on Sat, Oct 20th, 2012 03:43 AM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

I guess I should try to get back into the game a bit, then? Something to think about. It might be hard to find videos highlighting one single thing. I know there was a match from a couple years ago where the winner pretty much just kept control of nearly every single item on the map. But really, once you realize the importance of the items, and how the combat works, the rest just kind of falls into place.

#7 - RE: Quake Live shoutcast test on Sun, Oct 21st, 2012 01:43 AM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

http://www.lagserv.net/wp/2012/10/quake-...apha-duel/

#8 - RE: Quake Live shoutcast test on Sun, Oct 21st, 2012 01:16 PM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

I'm a little shocked to say this, but some dude just liked the 3rd video and then subscribed! w00t!
#9 - RE: Quake Live shoutcast test on Sun, Oct 21st, 2012 07:30 PM
ATLEX Offline
Scumbag

Nice! I'll have to watch these later because it's noisy in my house right now and I can barely hear. It sounded like Colby had an English accent.

#10 - RE: Quake Live shoutcast test on Sun, Oct 21st, 2012 08:11 PM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

What do you mean? Colby does have an english accent. Too much Top Gear, I suspect. ;)
(This post was last modified: Sun, Oct 21st, 2012 08:11 PM by Tetchro.)
#11 - RE: Quake Live shoutcast test on Sun, Oct 21st, 2012 09:25 PM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

Huh?

Anyway, I was thinking, considering this site started out as a clan website for CSS, it would actually be quite natural for us to start doing more and more shoutcasts. The name even kind of works, since we're doing them long after the match happened.

#12 - RE: Quake Live shoutcast test on Sun, Oct 21st, 2012 11:38 PM
ATLEX Offline
Scumbag

seroipsu]'y

#13 - RE: Quake Live shoutcast test on Mon, Oct 22nd, 2012 12:01 AM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

lol, you can tell how frustrated he was. How interesting are you finding watching Quake vs some of the other games you've watched?

#14 - RE: Quake Live shoutcast test on Mon, Oct 22nd, 2012 12:02 AM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

I have no issues mixing shoutcasts with the rest of what we're currently doing. We've gained more subscribers in 1 day than my entire Rochard LP has done (although I'm willing to say it was a fluke lol).

Alex seems shocked! (Nice spelling by the way, reminds me of something I poorly shoutcasted recently!)

WAIT A SECOND. COUNTER STRIKE SHOUTCASTING?! IS THAT A THING?! I ACTUALLY KNOW THE MAPS AND STUFF! ... I could probably shoutcast better than I could play. Or shoutcast Quake.
#15 - RE: Quake Live shoutcast test on Mon, Oct 22nd, 2012 12:17 AM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

Hmm, now that's an interesting idea. At least shoutcasting isn't as over-done as let's plays, and I'd actually watch a shoutcast before watching a let's play.

Here's one demo (they're not as easy to find as the QL ones): http://www.esl.eu/de/csgo/1on1/ladder/do.../26393763/

#16 - RE: Quake Live shoutcast test on Mon, Oct 22nd, 2012 12:20 AM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

I was thinking like scrims instead of 1-on-1s, but it actually sounds like an interesting idea. We should get Cab over here to do some CS shoutcasts with us!
#17 - RE: Quake Live shoutcast test on Mon, Oct 22nd, 2012 01:52 AM
ATLEX Offline
Scumbag

That set was interesting. I don't understand how badly rapha lost the first 2 games when he had those early leads. Did the players experience the pauses too? Maybe the pause distracted him, lol. Either way, it looked like rapha threw the game. Zero4 just dominated him.

I think there are just as many shoutcasts as there are let's plays. Depends on what game you're looking for. Shoutcasts are easier to watch because they're usually quicker to get to the action and they're mostly stand-alone (like, you don't have to watch any other "episode" to enjoy it). Let's plays require more commitment -- from both the player and the spectator.

Quake games compared to other games I've spectated? It was alright. I always appreciate how well people can press buttons and play videos games, AHA. But seriously, it's cool seeing players be able to predict their opponents movement so well or hit so many rails.

#18 - RE: Quake Live shoutcast test on Mon, Oct 22nd, 2012 10:38 AM
Cheese Offline
Scumbag

I know there are tons of shoutcasts for game like SC2, for example, but Quake shoutcasts are becoming increasingly rare. I know one of the main sites for shoutcasts hasn't been updated since 2011. I have no clue how the situation is for CS.

Everyone experienced the pause. If you look on the right hand side of the screen, you can see the player's ping. It was spiking a bit, so they paused the game to give it a chance to settle.

(This post was last modified: Mon, Oct 22nd, 2012 10:52 AM by Cheese.)
#19 - RE: Quake Live shoutcast test on Wed, Oct 24th, 2012 04:39 PM
Tetchro Offline
Chicken

another Quaker just subscribed! Good, he compensates for the GW-video-era subscriber loss this morning.

GW2 may get the views but Quake gets the subscribes. Hmm.

And yeah, I call them Quakers. :D not to be confused with granola bars, though.
#20 - RE: Quake Live shoutcast test on Wed, Oct 24th, 2012 10:26 PM
caleb Offline
Gasfella

Shoutcasts are cool! I would probably be down for helping with the CS one. the ones you guys have up are pretty good, funny to so that works well lol. I think the quake ones would be more popular than CS ones just because of what chez said, how CS is way more popular. on that note, the slender video has a fair amount of views compared to any of the other new videos:p

Tety, no more GW lately?? those videos brought in some good views.... sooner or later I was sure you were going to get some gig for a voice over job or something.